how to face the world when you're not motivated

Thursday, November 19, 2015



Ironic that I write this post from my couch, on a Thursday morning. I had an incredible to-do list for today, however given the fact that I have been feeling icky all week, I decided to stay home and rest my body - and my mind. Hate to write another "pregnancy sucks" post, and I promise this is not one of them! Just something I've had to develop in the past few months to adjust to a new life and to new feelings.

It's definitely not a part of my personality to go,go,go all the time. I've always been more of a chill person and always moved a tad bit slower than others. Not to say I'm lazy. I've always have faced challenges that come my way with hard work and perseverance. Just in a slower pace than most people do. However, lately I have been feeling a little unmotivated... My energy level is super low and even though, I have the desire to get out of bed and conquer the world every morning, there is a constant internal struggle with getting up and facing the world. I'm not sure if this is related to pregnancy at all, but I have started to develop a different routine in order to motivate myself and increase my productivity throughout the day. In case you're in the same boat as I am, I put together a few things that have helped me a lot.


Figure out what you're afraid of.
This may sound stupid, but I discovered recently that I have a subconscious fear of getting dressed in the morning. I have build up this unreasonable fear of not being able to pick out the perfect outfit each day - which is weather appropriate and that has the "vibe" I'm looking for. Ridiculous, I know. However, now that my options are pretty slim when it comes to clothing items, I've had to deal with it straight on. My solution? I face my fears the night before. Every night before I go to bed, I pick out my outfit and lay it out for the next day. Something about having it together the following morning, motivates me to get out of bed and tackle my day. Also, I've started shopping for neutrals a lot more. It's much easier to mix and match when you have a set color palette in your closet.

Recognize when you're at the top of your game.
Everyone has their power hours, that time of day where you feel the most productive and can get more stuff done. For me, it's definitely during the day - I can't get anything done at night. However, there are times where it feels like my brain stops functioning and nothing good seems to come out. It's okay to feel like that! Just figure out when you feel and work your best, and do all the things that take most of your brain power and focus during that period of time. And when you feel like you can't do anything else, take breaks. Go for a walk, talk to your co-workers, and press refresh! It always works for me.

Cut yourself off from social media. 
At this point we are all well aware of our addition to social media. I manage several accounts for work, and sometimes it finds a way of getting in the way of things. When I am at my"power hours", I close all social media and focus on what I'm doing. If I'm working on blog posts, I usually pull out a notebook, a pencil and handwrite all my posts. There is something about taking your eyes away from the screen and all the noise that comes from it.. It makes me feel so relaxed!

Organize.
I despise clutter and if my desk is a hot mess, there is no way in hell I'm going to get work done. Ever! So organize your stuff. Clear your desk, your desktop, your dropbox, and throw away unnecessary things. Trust me on this one, you will feel renewed and dare I say... powerful!! ;)

Give up. 
We are all humans and even though, their are plenty of inspirational instagrams, pinterests, and tumbles. out there saying "go girl boss. conquer the world." some days, all you want is to be in your pj's and watch Gilmore Girls all day. It's okay. That's why you have those personal days to take at work. Use them - you will feel renewed after that and will come back productive as ever.

Do you have any other tips on how you get yourself motivated even when it feels like nothing is going to happen? Please do share. I could always tweak my routine.


Hope you come back soon,
M

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SPARK YOUR PRINT All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger