meal planing: cheesy sausage quiche

Friday, April 17, 2015

I am not a quiche person. Never been one, so I don't have the slightest idea how this recipe caught my attention. Maybe it was the 'cheesy' or that it can be made in one pan. Or it was just that I am into Trader Joe's chicken sausage so much lately that I will try any recipe that contains it in the ingredient list.

This quiche is easy to made and delicious to eat. It satisfies my meat eating husband and refrigerates well. My first attempt, I followed the recipe (via sallys baking addiction)  as is. However, the second time around, I switched up the sausage and added a few more ingredients to the mix. You can try it both ways and see which one you prefer. Here is my favorite version:


Cheesy Sausage Quiche

Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper 
  • 2/4 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 2 3oz cooked sausage links (my favorite is garlic and herbs chicken sausage from Trader Joe's) 
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 large green pepper, chopped 
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 garlic glove, minced
  • 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees f 

In a large bowl whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, pepper and shredded mozzarella until thoroughly combined. Set aside. 

Heat a 10 inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grease with butter. Add sausage, onion, and garlic. Stirring frequently, cook for 5 minutes or until sausage is a little browned. Add the green pepper and cook for 3 minutes. After it is cooked, add the tomato and stir in the prepared egg mixture, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. 

Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is set and no longer jiggles. Let it cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SPARK YOUR PRINT All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger