books i love: this is the story of a happy marriage

Wednesday, June 3, 2015


Ann Patchett has been a breath of fresh air. It's been a while since I've read short stories and even longer since I've embraced a nonfiction book. But my oh my, how I love the way she writes! This is a story of an affection for books, dogs, one tough Nun and, yes, a husband. 


I came across this book on Instagram. After many years of posting pictures on this magnificent app, I have sort of accumulated friends that even though we have never met in person before, we share the same interest. One of them, is reading. I was almost done with my second Outlander book and didn't feel exactly compelled to commit to another 900 pages of Mrs. Gabaldon's novel. This was when I stumbled upon a post where Ann Patchett's short stories were being praised. So I took the risk and ordered the book online.  


The main essay's title is not misleading, just limiting. At first I thought it was going to be somewhat related to the story of her marriage, but it was so much more than that. This book is about much more than love, marriage or divorce. It's about how she became the kind of writer and person that she is now, and what she learned in the process. Her style is not overly confessional, but it is beguiling in ways that make her sound like someone you'd want to know. 


Trust me, go buy (loan from library, borrow from friend...) yourself a copy. It is well worth it! 

Hope you come back soon,
m

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SPARK YOUR PRINT All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger